How do I become a professional interpreter or a translator?
Several Houston-area colleges and Professional Institutions offer professional education and training opportunities for interpreters, translators, or people who want to work in the translation/interpretation industry:
Berkana Language LLC offers:
Advanced Translation, English To Spanish and Spanish To English
BERKANA LANGUAGE LLC ‘s
mission is to provide the best, practical self-study materials possible for translators and interpreters, as well as specialized English/Spanish dictionaries and glossaries; please visit the Products
page to explore.
BERKANA LANGUAGE LLC is an approved provider of continuing education classes for the Office of Court Administration (JBCC) in Texas, the American Translators Association – ATA.
Instructor: M. Eta Trabing and/or Denis Socarrán Estrada
For more information, please contact Eta Trabing at 281-676-8476, or by e-mail at email@example.com
Graciela Zozaya and ACA Productions, Inc. Offers:
- JBCC Mandatory Orientation
- JBCC 40-Hour Test Preparation Course
- JBCC Oral Exam Test Prep
- 48 Hour Medical Intro to Medical Interpreting
- Congenital Heart Surgery for Interpreters
For more information please visit: https://gracielazozaya.com/about
Houston Community College (HCC) offers a Translation and Interpretation Program (Credit-hour program)
- Basic professional education in translation and interpretation
- Comprehensive program for any language pairs, covering major areas of demand in language services in Houston, such as healthcare, legal, scientific and technical
- Upon completion, the students will receive HCC Level II Certificate in Translation and Interpretation as well as CoreCHI™ healthcare interpreter certification
- Hybrid (50/50 in-person and online) or online courses, affordable tuition
- Accredited by THECB and SACS
For more information, please contact Dr. Natalia Noland at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-718-2457
University of Houston Downton (UHD) offers:
Minor in Spanish-English Translation
Students can earn a minor in one of three Spanish translation tracks – general, medical, or legal.
Interpreter Training in Medical and Legal Areas
Continuing education non-credit courses to train interpreters in the medical and legal areas. These test preparation workshops for future interpreters satisfy the orientation hours required by certification agencies, provide strategies and instruction in three modes of interpretation, and review content tested by the NBCMI and CCHI (for medical) and the Texas JBCC (for court).
For more information, please contact Dr. Rey Romero, 1055-N, 713-226-5549, email@example.com
Lone Star College offers:
Bilingual Interpreter Certificate (English/Spanish)
- Specialized training for people who want to become professional community, medical, legal, business and/or conference interpreters
- Non-credit Fast Track program
- Industry training, without the need for admissions testing
- Full program offered at LSC-North Harris
For more information, please e-mail Erich.G.Polack@LoneStar.edu, call 281-618-5564